The entire mission for Goodrock Park has been the same since we first spawned the project idea back in 2009. Over the years, we have refined it to be surmised in the mission statement that is printed above our blog and at the bottom of our business cards:
Building a sustainable, community focussed, mixed farming enterprise and teaching venture.
What does this mean?
What are our objectives as part of this mission?
- To create a small, paddock to table, mixed farm enterprise that is focussed on the immediate local market.
- To offer training, community facilities and education opportunities by providing workspace, buildings and access to the enterprise.
- To promote the growth of the local economy, particularly through the support of local businesses and community enterprises.
- To advance education, training and retraining particularly among unemployed people and providing them with work experience for the agricultural industry.
- To promote and advance the education of consumers through open and transparent access to a working enterprise.
- To provide technical assistance, business advice and training to help residents to set up urban farming, self sufficiency programmes or establish (and improve existing) agricultural ventures
- To work in partnership with local organisations to provide these services
- To develop and encourage the regeneration, rural focus and social development of the area
- To work in partnership with local governement to establish improvements to the region whilst protecting the agricultural industry and the natural assets
I think that is quite a hefty set of goals right there and it is still a work in progress. However, I think we needed to record these and let them mature in the mindset.